GEORGIA’S TERM 4 HISTORY ASSIGNMENT;
1. 1770 – in 1770, Captain James Cook ‘discovered’ Australia. Although story’s have told he was the ‘first’ to ‘discover’ Australia, he wasn’t. An Englishman named William Dampier ‘found’ Australia in 1688. Even though this is true, Captain James Cook found the fertile east coast of Australia (also known as Botany Bay). He called it New South Wales, and claimed it for Great Britain. This resinates with me because, my ancestors WERE the FIRST ones on Australia and neither Captain Cook or William Dampier were first.
2. 1893 – in 1893, the 6 colonies came together as one including New Zealand. The 6 colonies met at the Australasian federation convention, Sydney, to write a draft…Australian constitution. This date is important to me because this is when everyone came together and stopped working together and I feel that if this didn’t happen, then the world wouldn’t be the same.
3. 1901 – in 1901, federation to a new, independent nation began when the British Parliament passed legislation allowing the 6 Australian. colonies to govern in their own right. This is also a bocld date because yeah also I don’t believe that things would’ve been the same. Also, by that point the Australians were quite multicultural and accepted others like me.
4. 2008 – In 2008, Kevin Rudd said sorry to the indigenous people for separating their families. There was information that was delivered to Parliament on the 26th May 1997. This resinates with me because, my grandma (Aka)was one of the children that experienced family separation. Her mum that was my Doodoo, was separated and didn’t meet her mother after the age of 8 or 9. Also on May 26th 1998, there was the first National Sorry day. This day was one year after the tabling of a report about the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families. National Sorry Day is also an annual event that has been held in Australia, to remember and commemorate the mistreatment of the country’s Aboriginal People and Torres Strait Islander People.
5. 2007 – THE FIRST APPLE PHONE WAS MADE!!!!! On the 29th of June 2007, the first Apple iPhone was released. The iPhone was the iPhone 1. This is significant to me because I feel like that the reason people can be free is because it allows you to be in touch with your parents, family members etc. This is my belief because if you need to be picked up from somewhere you can’t keep using your money on the pay phones.